Reckless driving claims five lives at Assakae near Takoradi
Five persons including two children have died, due the impatience of a taxi driver in charge of an Opel vectra with registration number WR 4957-12, in an accident at Assakae in the Effia-Kwesimintsim Municipality of the Western Region.
DSP Olivia Adiku, the Western Regional Public Relations Officer, told the Ghana News Agency that about 1230 hours on last Saturday October 6, a Tipper truck driver with registration number GE 8305-Z which was heading towards Elubo from Aboadze took the new bypass linking Nkroful Junction to Apollo and Apremdo.
She said on reaching Assakae junction, the taxi driver carrying three adults and two children from Kwesimintim and believed to be going to Assakae ignored the speed of the Tipper truck and wilfully decided to cross and in the process had a head-on collision with it.
DSP Adiku said all five passengers sustained various degrees of injuries and were transported to Jemima and Kwesimintsim Hospitals initially.
Whilst on admission, four passengers and the driver died, with the only survivor receiving medical care at the Effia Nkwanta Regional Hospital.
Meanwhile, the driver of the Tipper Truck is currently in police custody awaiting further action.
Latest from Twin City Radio
- Dixcove-Fiaher Folks Celebrate World Fisheries Day Far Ban Bo Project Team
- European Union Delegation Interacts With Fisher Folks In Western And Central Regions
- North Korea 'tests new high-tech weapon'
- Osafo-Maafo justifies the appointment of his sons to top government positions
- Two fire service directors trade blows over transfers; one bites the other